Quick Links

Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Main Navigation


McKinney-Vento Homeless Child

Sub Navigation


Home > breadcrumbs: High School > breadcrumbs: McKinney-Vento Homeless Child >


Ajax Loading Image


McKinney-Vento Homeless Act

May 27, 2021

“The McKinney-Vento Education for Homeless Children and Youth (EHCY) program, which is administered by the U.S. Department of Education's Office of Elementary and Secondary Education, indicates that State Educational Agencies (SEAs) must ensure that homeless children and youths have equal access to the same free, appropriate public education, including a public preschool education, as is provided to other children and youths. The SEA and Local Educational Agencies (LEAs) in the State must review and revise any laws, regulations, practices, or policies that may act as barriers to the identification, enrollment, attendance, or success in school of homeless children and youths. Homeless students must also have access to the education and other services that they need to meet the same challenging State academic standards to which all students are held.



You might qualify for assistance through a federal law called the McKinney -Vento Act if your family lives in the following:

§   In a Shelter

§   In a motel or campground due to the lack of alternative adequate accommodation

§   In a car, park, abandoned building, or bus or train station

§   Doubled-up with other people due to loss of housing or economic hardship


Who can I talk with about my child's education?

1. Every school district has a local homeless education liaison.

Katie Wilke is the liaison for Wesclin CUSD. Please contact her by email at wilkek@wesclin.org or at 618-588-3535.


2. Talk with your child's teachers when you enroll him or her in school. Meet with them on a regular basis to discuss your child's academic progress.


3. Meet with the school social worker to discuss the best interventions to use to assist with any changes or challenges he or she is facing.


4. The school principal, bus driver, social worker, school nurse, or district staff can all provide valuable assistance. Please reach out to them as needed.



National Center for Homeless Education, [n.d.], What you need to know to help your child in schoolhttps://nchehelpline.org/collections/limit-5/products/parent-booklet-english.


Back To Top